What is the CyberKnife® Robotic Radiotherapy System?
1. Non-invasive, painless radiation treatment designed to treat tumors almost anywhere in the body with sub-millimeter accuracy.
2. Delivers a high dose of radiation to tumors with extreme accuracy. Hundreds of beams enter the body at different locations and through different angles. The highest dose of radiation develops where the beams intersect at the region to be treated.
3. Can be an alternative to open surgery in many cases.
4. Uses image guidance technology and computer controlled robotics.
5. Continuously track the tumor, detect its location and correct for tumor and patient movement in real-time throughout the treatment.
6. Does not require invasive head or body frames to stabilize patient movement.
7. Outpatient procedure. There are no incisions, no pain, no blood, no stereotactic frame (as used with the Gamma Knife ™), no anesthesia and limited recovery time.
8. Patients can return to normal activity immediately after treatment.
How does it differ from traditional external radiation?
1. Shorter treatment time – usually 1-5 treatments vs. 6-8 weeks of treatment with conventional radiation therapy.
2. Less damage to healthy tissues and critical structures due to the precise targeting and fractionated doses (large doses spread out over several treatments).
3. Generally fewer side-effects than traditional radiation.
How long does the treatment take?
Treatment time varies depending on the location of the tumor and the complexity of the treatment plan. Treatment times are generally between 30 minutes and 2 hours. Cyberknife for prostate cancer is usually done over 5 session on consecutive business days.